[ Fandom's Bitch ]    [ fic index ]   [ Buffy ]   [ Angel ]   [ Supernatural ]   [ Dark Angel ]   [ Firefly ]   [ Crossovers ]   [ Star Wars: EU fic ]   [ Other fic ]

Lies and Dreams

Title Lies and Dreams
Rating PG-13
Fandoms Angel, Supernatural

The never-ending piles of paper on his desk were starting to worry him. He knew this whole deal with the devil – or at least the devil's appointed legal representatives – had been the only path he could have taken. The only way to give Connor a future – and a past, fake though that may be.

Taking on the forces of Wolfram and Hart, working from the inside to bring them down, was the best thing he could be doing right now, he just despaired at the sheer volume of paperwork involved.

Slumping back in the comfortable – and worryingly expensive – leather chair, Angel reached for the manila folder perched atop the nearest stack. He scowled at the annoyingly perky square of pink paper stuck to the front. They were everywhere it seemed, covering every surface with their forced cheer and it took more willpower than he liked not to sweep everything off the desk just to get rid of them.

A deep – and unneeded – calming breath later he read the offending piece of stationary. Harmony had drawn smiley faces in the 'o'.

An hour later the cleaning crew let him back into his office where he discovered to his dismay that the stacks of paperwork were once again waiting for him on his desk. This time he schooled himself to act like a professional and not read the pink slip until he absolutely had to.

That turned out to be sooner than he would have expected when he realised the contents of the folder were school transcripts. A boy, just a little older than Connor was. Clever enough from his grades, looking to go on to study law at Stanford, but Angel was lost as to why the details had ended up on his desk.

The post it note wasn't exactly illuminating, saying simply "Possible candidate for the 'fast-track' programme." With hearts drawn over the i's as well. He was proud of himself for not taking Harmony's head off instantly – and literally. Instead he flipped past the school reports to find a profile of the boy's family history.

A shiver ran up his spine as the truth began to dawn. This kid was no normal college student, he'd been around some seriously nasty beings all of his life and – Angel smirked a little – been at least partially instrumental in the deaths of some of Wolfram and Hart's more insidious clients. It looked as if the law firm were keeping tabs on the kid either to recruit him or to rid themselves of a potential threat – or maybe both.

Angel knew that his position heading up the firm was illusionary, that in the day-to-day things he was almost powerless. He couldn't simply 'lose' this file and let the kid have a normal life without Wolfram & Hart getting their claws into him; the fact that he was being shown this file at all was more a courtesy than anything else. As well as twisting the knife of Connor's absence from his life once more.

He could do something though, something neither the Senior Partners nor Eve would expect. He could approve this kid's recruitment. He could arrange for a full scholarship to wherever he wanted to study, he could oversee the kid's progress and when he was ready, he could try to bring the kid round to seeing the company for what it really was.

He could help set a kid on the right path, maybe make up for some of the mistakes he'd made with Connor.

Angel smiled a little as he signed his approval on the file.

Thanks to the new management at Wolfram and Hart, Sam Winchester could have a bright future.

all these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.